Thursday, October 28, 2010

To the Future!

Growing up I had an awful impression of "business."  It seemed bland, mundane and downright boring.  What youngster aspires to work in an office, sit in traffic, wear a tie and crunch numbers all day?

I can't say I have grown up (I'm 31 and probably won't ever officially get there) but my impression of what business is has changed immensely since I was a young punk.  Of course, there will always be the "stereotypical" career I just described, but now, more than ever, it seems as though our society (driven by business) places significant value on nurturing and developing highly innovative ideas to make our world a better place.

For this reason, I really love business.  If you happen to be a 10-year-old, no, I don't want to "marry" it.  But I do want to point out a couple of things:

1.)  This is what Hollywood thought the future might look like:

2.) Here is a link to a really interesting website I found earlier today.

Twenty years ago, people thought we would be floating around on "hoverboards."  I'm not sure anyone expected blogs, iPads, or even electric toothbrushes.  Life is good. And life will continue to be good as long as we foster an environment of innovation.  We owe business a big thanks for all that it has done for this world. Consider this my apology for turning my nose up at it when I was a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment